Salary: $40,000, plus full health coverage
Start date: June 1, 2022. This is a 2-year position.
The Assistant Curator position at the Fitchburg Art Museum (FAM) is a two-year contract position designed to launch an emerging curator into a rewarding career in the arts by providing an immersive educational and practical experience in the Curatorial department of a regional art museum.
The Assistant Curator will participate in the full range of curatorial practice around exhibition planning, design, and management. This position will work with both historical and contemporary works of art, and help develop exhibition concepts, conduct research, conduct studio/museum/gallery visits, write wall labels and essays, give tours, assist in the production of catalogs, manage logistics and administrative work, and work with the Marketing, Education, Development, and Events teams on related promotional and programming initiatives.
The Assistant Curator will have the opportunity to act as lead curator for one or more exhibitions. In addition, they will take full ownership of organizing the annual Regional Exhibition of Art and Craft and the Art Matters video series, assist with collection management and care, storage, and database upkeep, and assist with acquisitions research and presentations before the Collections Committee. The candidate will also have the opportunity to jointly teach a catalog production class at Fitchburg State University.
The Assistant Curator will be paid a stipend of $40,000/year, plus full health coverage with an option to purchase additional family coverage. The start date is June 1, 2022. The position reports directly to Curator Lauren Szumita and will work closely with Director Nick Capasso, Ph.D. and other members of the FAM team.
- MA degree or equivalent years of experience
- The ability to independently manage competing projects, a good sense of organization and the ability to prioritize
- Clear, accessible writing and good editing skills
- Some knowledge of historical and/or contemporary art practices, concepts, and techniques
- The ability to maintain open and responsive lines of communication with fellow staff, board members, artists, vendors, students, and the public
- A commitment to furthering equity efforts within the department and the organization
- An interest in expanding community outreach, and helping define those opportunities within the Curatorial department
Spanish language fluency is a plus.
The Fitchburg Art Museum is a catalyst for learning, creativity, and community building. We accomplish this mission with art historical collections and exhibitions, special exhibitions of contemporary New England art, education programs, public art projects, community partnerships, and creative economy initiatives. All decisions, initiatives, projects, and programs at the Fitchburg Art Museum reflect our commitment to art, education, and the greater community.
FAM is located in four buildings across a city block in downtown Fitchburg, in North Central Massachusetts. Our varied collection of over 7,000 objects includes particular strengths in American Art, African Art, and photography. FAM maintains 12,000 square feet of exhibition space, presents three major special exhibitions of New England contemporary art annually, and periodically re-installs selected permanent collection galleries.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send a CV, writing sample and the names of 3 references to Curator Lauren Szumita by April 11, 2022. In lieu of a cover letter, please send responses to the following questions (a paragraph is fine!):
- What do you know about the Fitchburg Art Museum’s values, and how do they align with your own?
- How would this position fit into your overarching career plans?