COLLECTION MANAGEMENT INTERNSHIP –
PART TIME, VOLUNTEER
The Fitchburg Art Museum is seeking a Collection Management Intern. The Intern will assist the Collection Manager in overseeing the care of FAM’s collection of over 6,000 works of art including sculpture, painting, prints, drawings, and photographs. This is an excellent opportunity to become acquainted with collection management, gain valuable experience in the museum field, and learn about the operations of a major regional museum with a growing collection of contemporary art, photography, African, and American art. This position is part-time (minimum of 2 days a week) and reports to the Collection Manager, Aminadab “Charlie” Cruz Jr.
• Assistance with museum-wide inventory of works of art
• Basic cataloguing of new works of art
• Creating and maintaining files for works of art
• Assistance with art handling, movement, and storage
• Assistance with looking up records in the database
• Assistance with setting up and taking down works of art for Collections Meetings
• Assistance in preparation and installation of exhibitions
• Taking inquiries from the public about the collection
• Other administrative tasks as needed
Who you are:
You have an interest in art and museums and currently enrolled in a MA or BA program. You are enthusiastic and work easily with others. You are curious, eager to learn, and aren’t afraid to ask questions.
• Ability to work both under direction and independently
• Detail-oriented and willing to see the big picture
• Comfortable with learning and using new technology
• Comfortable working with art (and/or willing to learn how to handle valuable works of art)
• The ideal candidate is interested in museums, art and/or art history, or library science
• Must be currently enrolled, in a MA program (BA students and grads also welcome)
• Must have a valid driver’s license.